Have you noticed that it’s been getting hotter outside? As Pennsylvanians deal with the effects of a summer heat wave, it can be more difficult to garden safely. If you’re planning on planting a garden or working on your landscaping this summer, use these tips to stay cool and safe in the sun.
- Always wear sunscreen. Did you know that you can still get a sunburn if there’s a cloud cover outside? Just 15 minutes in the sun can cause your skin to burn, increasing your risk of developing skin cancer later on. Remember to put on SPF 30 or higher sunscreen at least 15 minutes before you head outside.
- Take frequent breaks. Spending too much time in the sun can cause you to feel lightheaded and increase your risk of dehydration. For every 60 minutes you spend outside, take a 15 minute break in a cool, shaded area.
- Remember your water bottle. When temperatures are high, you might find yourself sweating more than usual. Remember to bring along a water bottle when you garden to replace the fluids you lose when you sweat. Your body will thank you!
- Choose your clothing wisely. Most people assume that the best outfit for working in summer weather is a tank top and shorts. However, this ensemble does little to protect your skin from the sun’s rays. Instead, opt for a loose, light-colored long-sleeve stop, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses. These will help keep you cool and reduce your chances of dealing with a sunburn later.
- Get a helping hand from the pros. Spending too much time in the sun can be dangerous. Research landscaping and mulching companies in Bucks County who can help you tackle some of the toughest tasks in your backyard — and give you a break from the heat!
Need a little help getting your property summer-ready? The heat is no match for the team at Anthony Landscapes! Our team provides everything from basic landscaping to Bucks County, PA swimming pool installations perfect for summer. Contact us today to schedule your appointment or learn more!